Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with 'raise' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
If something raises eyebrows, it causes shock or surprise. If we raise our eyebrows, it usually indicates that we are
- When the pop star wore that revealing costume, she really raised some eyebrows!
- He looked at me with his eyebrows raised, because what I said really surprised him.
- "Oh, my God!" I shouted, with my eyebrows raised.
- When they found out what he had done, it really raised eyebrows in the office. Everyone was shocked!
Raise an issue
An issue is usually a problem or something that needs to be addressed. To raise an issue means to mention it or bring it to someone's attention. You could also 'bring up' an issue at a meeting, for example.
- This has been bothering me for some time, and I think it's an issue that needs to be raised.
- I'd like to raise the issue of overtime hours. I don't think they're being dealt with fairly.
- Okay, everyone, let's start the meeting? Does anyone have any issues they would like to raise?
Everyone has expectations, which are the way they imagine things to turn out in the future. When you raise your expectations, you imagine that they will be even better than you imagined before.
- I'm really enjoying this course. It's helped me to raise my expectations for my future career.
- Her expectations were raised, following the amount of training she put in before the competition. Now she really believed she could win!
- The End of Quarter figures are looking good, so we're really raising our expectations about the performance of the company.
Raise the profile
Your profile is how people see (perceive) you, usually in a public sense. If you raise your profile, more people become aware of you or see you in a much more favourable light.
- The press conference went really well, and helped raise the profile of the young actress. Her Twitter followers increased by almost 50,000!
- The company profile was raised, following their involvement in the charity event.
When you raise someone's hopes, you cause them to think that things will be better in the future or will turn out well.
- When the doctor gave me the results of the blood tests, it raised my hopes regarding my prospects for recovery.
- This is going to be difficult, so don't raise your hopes unnecessarily.