Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with the word 'place' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
If you 'place emphasis', you attach a particular level of importance or attention to something.
- I believe this company should be placing greater emphasis on staff development.
- With regards to this project, I want the main emphasis to be placed on quality rather than rushing to meet a deadline.
- The politician stated that she intends to place particular emphasis on job creation, if she is elected.
A 'meeting place' is somewhere two or more people agree to meet or a location where people regularly gather.
- Let's use the park as our meeting place. I'll see you there at about 3 tomorrow.
- The local pub is a regular meeting place for students attending the nearby university.
- The huge statue on the main street is one of the most popular meeting places in the city.
A 'hiding place' is somewhere somebody or something can be concealed or kept safe. The term can be used literally or figuratively.
- There was no hiding place for terrified citizens as the hurricane struck land and caused huge devastation.
- The perfect hiding place for your son's birthday present is on top of that wardrobe. He isn't tall enough to see up there.
- There's no hiding place in our company. If you do something wrong, you will have to take responsibility and answer for it.
The collocation 'resting place' is most commonly used to refer to a place where somebody is buried.
- Tom's final resting place was a small graveyard in the village he grew up in.
- The wood is supposed to contain the resting place of a famous Roman general.
Out of place
If something or somebody is or looks 'out of place', they are not in their proper position, or do not fit a particular situation.
- The picture looks out of place in this room. It would suit somewhere more spacious.
- Kevin did a good job of cleaning the room. Nothing looked out of place.
- I didn't realise that it was a black-tie event, so I really felt out of place when I turned up in my jeans!