Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with the word 'narrow' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
If you are 'narrow-minded', you are unwilling to accept new ideas or opinions different to your own.
- I hope Gary isn't made Project Manager. He's too stubborn and narrow-minded for a position like that.
- Peter only reads things that conform to his own narrow-minded view of the world.
- I heard Catherine making some bigoted statements the other day. She is very narrow-minded.
When you 'narrow focus', you reduce - in extent or range - an area of interest or activity.
- I feel that we're taking on too much with this project. Let's narrow our focus to what's most important.
- Your report has too narrow a focus. It should have been far more wide-ranging.
- Our marketing was a bit all over the place, so we narrowed our focus to our key demographic - women under 40.
'Narrow' in this context refers to something that is only achieved (or not) or happens (or doesn't) by a small amount.
- The politician only won by a narrow margin, so she must seek support from other parties to pass her bill.
- Polls show that a narrow majority of people in the country are in favour of the new proposal.
- The team suffered a narrow defeat in the cup final, going down 3-2 in extra time.
If you have 'narrow vision', you are limited in how you view, conceive, or imagine something.
- Anne's ideas to grow the business were in conflict with the narrow vision the boss had for the company.
- My innovative packaging design seemed to conflict with the manager's narrow vision of what the product should look like.
Narrow (something) down
When you 'narrow something down', you reduce the number of possibilities or choices.
- I'm still deciding where to go on my holiday, but my limited budget means that I've had to narrow my choice down to somewhere nearby.
- It's been a long process, but we've now narrowed our list of candidates down to 3.
- We're still not sure what caused the issue, but we're currently narrowing down the possibilities.
These are some of the collocations you can make with 'narrow'. Can you think of any others?