Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with 'give' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
Give way to
When you 'give way to', you yield to or are replaced by somebody or something.
- There are a lot of pedestrians in the town centre, and cars are expected to give way to them.
- My disappointment about the deal's collapse gave way to anger when I heard that the other side had gone back on their promise.
- Sarah is the favourite to replace me in the role. I expect I will be giving way to her by the end of the month.
- When you see a 'Yield' sign on the road, you should slow down and give way to other traffic coming from another direction.
Give access to
To 'give access to', means to provide somebody with the method or possibility of getting near a person or place.
- The key gives access to the back door. So, use that if you need to enter the house.
- The boss made it very clear to me that I would not be given access to the files.
- The successful author likes her privacy. It is rare for her to give access to the media.
Give priority (to)
If you 'give priority' to somebody or something, you treat them as being more important or urgent than other people/things.
- I want you to give priority to that task. It needs to be completed today.
- Your health issues should be given priority over everything else at the moment.
- I've been giving priority to Chris over my other students because he is really struggling with the subject.
When you 'give support', you assist, strengthen, or encourage somebody or something.
- If you do go for that promotion, I promise to give you my full support.
- Donating money is the best way of giving support to that charity.
- Tom's wife gave him the support he needed when he was going through a difficult time.
To 'give directions' means to instruct somebody on how to do something or where to go.
- The car pulled over and the driver asked me how to get to the main road, so I gave her directions.
- If you're not sure what you should be doing on the project, then talk to Alex. He can give you direction.
- The boss will be giving directions to the staff about what is expected of them in this busy period.