Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with the word 'gather' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
Gather (somebody/something) quickly
If you 'gather somebody/something quickly', you rapidly assemble or bring together people or things.
- Having a morning huddle rather than a formal meeting allows staff to gather quickly and be more productive.
- I gathered my things quickly and ran out of the house to catch the bus on time.
- Police had to move into the area because an angry crowd was gathering quickly, stoking fears of a riot.
Start/begin to gather
The collocation 'start/begin to gather' is used to express people or things coming together or accumulating. It can be used literally or figuratively.
- The audience has started to gather in the hallway, waiting for the theatre doors to open.
- It was such a hectic week at work that I couldn't even begin to gather my thoughts until the weekend.
- The weather got worse, and I could see snow beginning to gather on the street outside.
Gather (somebody/something) around
To 'gather around', means to assemble or collect people or things around somebody or something.
- She liked to gather expensive paintings around her house to show off her wealth.
- The whole family gathered around the table for Christmas dinner.
- Gather around, people, I have an important announcement to make!
Gather (somebody/something) together
If you 'gather somebody/something together', you group them in one place.
- I gathered everybody together here today to announce that Claire and I are getting married!
- Gather the staff together in the meeting room. I want to go over the proposal with them.
- Give me a minute, I'm just gathering my things together before I leave the office.
'Information gathering' is the process of collecting facts, data, or knowledge about somebody or something.
- We need to find a way of stopping our competitor's information gathering efforts within our organization.
- I want you to gather as much information as you can about the investor so we can tailor our sales-pitch to him.
- A lot of information gathering and strategizing takes place before we launch an advertising campaign.