Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with the word 'free' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
A free hand
When you give somebody 'a free hand', you give them the authority or permission to perform a task how they see fit.
- The boss said that I would be given a free hand to put the project team together.
- Sarah knows how to drive a hard bargain, so she has been given a free hand to negotiate the deal.
- I do not trust that politician. I hope he isn't given a free hand to govern the country.
A 'free house' refers to having a place of residence to yourself temporarily, usually because the other people living there are away.
- I've got a free house tonight as my wife is taking the kids to their grandparents. It gives me a good chance to work on my report.
- Do you feel like coming over for a few drinks? My flatmates are out so I have a free house.
(of one's own) Free will
If you have 'free will', you have the ability to make choices or decisions without being forced or restrained.
- Nobody forced you to make that decision. You did so of your own free will.
- My son has reached the age where he questions everything I tell him to do. He is exercising his free will.
- I didn't ask Henry to apologize to you. He did it of his own free will.
A 'free-for-all' is a disorderly situation lacking rules and structure.
- Only I was supposed to speak at the meeting, but it quickly became a free-for-all where everybody was shouting their opinions.
- The fight between the players ended up turning into a free-for-all, with both teams getting involved.
- The Black Friday sale in our shop descended into a free-for-all when customers started jostling with each other for cut-price items.
Free your mind
When you 'free your mind', you remove negative thoughts or worries that may be limiting you, or open yourself up to new things.
- I like to listen to music with a glass of wine when I get home from work. It helps me to free my mind and relax.
- You need to find a way of freeing your mind from the worries that are weighing on you. Have you tried meditation?
- You are too closed off in your way of thinking. You should free your mind and open yourself up to new ideas.