Collocations are words that usually go together in English.
Here we are going to look at words that go with 'force' to make useful and popular expressions you will hear in social and professional contexts.
A force to be reckoned with
If you are 'a force to be reckoned with', you are a person or thing considered to be strong, capable, and deserving of respect.
- Anna may seem quiet and shy, but when it comes to negotiating a deal she is a force to be reckoned with.
- I'm sick of being at the bottom of the food chain. I want my business to become a force to be reckoned with in the industry.
- It was clear from the start that the new boss is a force to be reckoned with. No employee wants to get on the wrong side of him.
When you use 'brute force', you apply a large amount of physical strength or power, often without much thought or consideration.
- You can't fix a computer with brute force. It requires a bit of finesse.
- It took a lot of brute force, but I managed to push my car out of the mud.
- I hope the country will solve the issue through diplomatic means rather than by using brute force.
If you use 'excessive force', you apply more physical vigour or strength to something than is necessary. It is most commonly used in a legal context.
- The police were accused of using excessive force when arresting the suspect.
- The defendant was adjudged to have used excessive force when defending himself.
A 'force field' is a literal or figurative area of energy that surrounds an object, person, or place.
- There is a giant force field around our planet that helps protect us from damaging solar winds.
- It was like there was a force field around Brian, and nobody could get through to him.
(by/through) (sheer) Force of will
If you do something 'through sheer force of will', you achieve it using nothing except total determination and belief.
- Claire didn't have any help getting her business up and running. She did it through sheer force of will.
- You can't make these changes by sheer force of will. You need to convince others to support you, as well.
- Tom has an incredible force of will. He never gives up until a task is completed.